Re: smp dead lock of io_request_lock/queue_lock patch

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 14:31:59 EST

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 02:21:43PM -0500, Doug Ledford wrote:
> I should pay more attention to what goes on in 2.6. That was a crap
> decision. There are drivers out there that use global data and need one
> lock across all controllers. Putting a lock in the scsi host struct for
> per controller locks is a waste of space. Let the driver decide if it
> needs a global driver lock, a per controller lock (in which case it
> should be part of the driver private host struct), or just the global
> io_request_lock. It really is up to the driver and putting it into the
> scsi host struct doesn't make sense.

I tend to disagree. Giving the driver control over the lock used by the
midlayer is just wrong. If it has global state (which a good driver better
shouldn't) it's up to the driver to protect it. That we still have a way
to override that lock is the big bug rather, and in fact only three drivers
are doing that, and they all override it with a lock that's per-HBA anyway.

> --
> Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> 919-754-3700 x44233
> Red Hat, Inc.
> 1801 Varsity Dr.
> Raleigh, NC 27606

---end quoted text---

--
Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxx> - Freelance Hacker
Contact me for driver hacking and kernel development consulting