Re: PROBLEM: AES cryptoloop corruption under recent -mm kernels

From: Mark Borgerding
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 11:16:49 EST

David Wagner wrote:

Mark Borgerding wrote:

James Morris wrote:

Eli Biham has suggested encrypting the sector numbers, see
http://people.redhat.com/jmorris/crypto/cryptoloop_eli_biham.txt

This does not defend against a dictionary attack.

Right. It defends against a different attack. It appears that
there may be multiple weaknesses here...

I couldn't google the original suggestion from Eli Biham. The verbiage of the email ( hearsay, thrice removed ) seemed to indicate the proposal was to defend against a DA.

I'm curious. What attack would it defend against? The extra IV of zeros might make it harder to attack a weak cipher with known plaintext through differential cryptanalysis, iff the first IV was mostly zeros ( I'm grasping at straws here ).

That's about all I can think of. But then again; I wasn't on the Popular Science "Brilliant 10" list.
;^) Belated Congratulations, David.

- Mark