Linux Page Cache performance

From: Ravi Wijayaratne
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 14:11:57 EST

Hi All.

We are running dbench on a machine with Dual Xeon (Hyper threading
turned off), 1GB RAM
and 4 Drive software RAID5. The kernel is 2.4.29-xfs 1.2. We are using
LVM. However
similar test done using ext2 on a disk partiotion (no md or LVM) shows

The throughput is find till the number of clients are Around 16. At
that point the throughput
plummets about 40%. We are trying to avoid that and see how we could
have a consistent throughput
perhaps sacrificing some peak performance.

One could argue that at the point the performance drops we are actualy
beggining to see
I/O requests missing page cache and going to disk. That is our current
guess. We try to tune
the buffer age and the interval page buffer daemon runs, but had no
effect on the curve.
So transactional meta data operations seems not be causing the bottle
neck.

Are there any VM patches that smooths out the Page Cache dirty page
swapping process so that we
wont see this sudden drop of through put, but could have a smoother
transition. I ran a
kernel profiler on the test and I dont see any dentry cache flushes or
inode cache flushes.

Similar test done using ext2 on a disk partiotion (no md or LVM) shows
us similar performances.
However for ext2 when we tweak the bdflush parameters in /proc
(specifically the max age of meta
data buffers) we can push the point where the data throughput falls to
around 40 clients.

But we are more interested in finding out ways to solve the XFS case.

Any insights on this ?

Thanx
Ravi

=====