Re: KGDB 2.0.3 with fixes and development in ethernet interface

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 09:19:14 EST

On Friday 16 Jan 2004 6:28 pm, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > KGDB 2.0.3 is available at
> > http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/kgdb-2/linux-2.6.1-kgdb-2.0.3.tar.bz2
> >
> > Ethernet interface still doesn't work. It responds to gdb for a couple of
> > packets and then panics. gdb log for ethernet interface is pasted
> > below.
>
> ++int kgdbeth_thread(void *data)
> ++{
> ++ struct net_device *ndev = (struct net_device *)data;
> ++ daemonize("kgdbeth");
> ++ while (!ndev->ip_ptr) {
> ++ schedule();
> ++ }
> ++ debugger_entry();
> ++ return 0;
>
> Don't you need some locking around ndev->ip_ptr? [Okay, it probably
> only matters on SMP, so it is not causing your problems..]

Yes. Some locking will be needed. I haven't yet figured out the exact sequence
of function calls during configuration of an interface from userland.

Is there a hold-count kind of a thing on network interface components (like
inodes, dentries)?

I am still using userland to bring an interface up. I guess it's best done
inside the kernel instead of using notifications and spawning a thread. Then
the interface would be usable much earlier.

Thanks.
--
Amit Kale
EmSysSoft (http://www.emsyssoft.com)