Trying to make a module

From: Kuroi
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 00:31:08 EST

Hi everybody,

I am trying to make a driver for my WizardPen and I
found that a project existed for the kernel, I was
talking with the guy who wrote the mini faq and he
told me this:

The procedure to install the driver is the same as
described in the mini-howto, but after you have
patched your kernel, you just have to look hid-core.c
for :

> input->evbit[0] |= BIT(EV_MSC);
> input->mscbit[0] |= BIT(MSC_SERIAL);
> input_event(input, EV_MSC, MSC_SERIAL, 0);
>
> And replace it by :
>
> struct hid_input* hidinput =
> list_entry(hid->inputs.next, struct
> hid_input,
> list);
> struct input_dev* input = &hidinput->input;
>
> input->evbit[0] |= BIT(EV_MSC);
> input->mscbit[0] |= BIT(MSC_SERIAL);
> input_event(input, EV_MSC, MSC_SERIAL, 0);

So I made it but, it fails givin me this output:

hid-core.c: In function `hid_input_report':
hid-core.c:945: error: structure has no member named
`input'
hid-core.c:946: error: structure has no member named
`input'
hid-core.c:947: error: structure has no member named
`input'
hid-core.c:943: warning: unused variable `input'
make[2]: *** [hid-core.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/drivers/usb'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_usb] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

It appears that the USB API change, so someone could
help me telling me where I can find the new
specifications for the new API.

I am really new trying to change things in the kernel
but I want to learn.