Re: [2.6,2.4] HPT366 (on Abit BP6) + Seagate 7000.7 + DMA = kernelhalted

From: Jan Mynarik
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 11:31:03 EST

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 15:59, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> Must be a problem with the harddisk; I do also have a Abit BP6 board
> with two WD800JB which work fine on the HPT366 controller. Maybe you
> should try to connect them to one of the PIIX4 IDE channels. Btw: I do
> have CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO enabled so I do not even need to use hdparm
> to enable DMA.

It supports my idea that linux kernel driver miss some 'special'
initialization for Seagate disk. But I need to try HighPoint's own
driver first, hopefully during weekend.

I also know that's not problem of AUTO DMA, I tried it and it didn't
change anything. During boot driver reports that my disk can do only
PIO.

However I am myself not so sure if I should use the HPT366 or the PIIX4
> controller as I got better cache read throughput (hdparm -T) with the
> PIIX4 controller and could avoid sharing an interrupt. Maybe someone
> here is willing to share some piece of advice?

The problem with faster controller is a bit funny. I suppose that the
HPT366 controller is there because of its ability to run UDMA66, so that
it should be faster.

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Pogo

--