Re: [discuss] Re: kgdb for x86_64 2.6 kernels

From: George Anzinger
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 22:32:37 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 04:02:45PM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:

Greg KH wrote:

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:02:02PM -0800, George Anzinger wrote:

Right. I had hoped that we might one day be able to use the USB and I am sure there are others.

Raw USB? Or some kind of USB to serial device?

Remember, USB needs interrupts to work, see the kdb patches for the mess
that people have tried to go through to send usb data without interrupts
(doesn't really work...)

I gave up on USB when I asked the following questions:
1. How many different HW USB master devices need to be supported (i.e. appear on your normal line of MBs)? (answer, too many)

There are only 3, UHCI, OHCI, and EHCI. You can forget about EHCI, as
all EHCI controllers contain either a UHCI or OHCI controller embedded
in them (EHCI only handles the USB2 high speed data.) So you really
only have to handle 2.

2. Can I isolate a USB port from the kernel so that it does not even know it is there? (answer: NO)

Sorry, this is correct. Unless you want to take over the whole pci
device that the USB controller is on. That's a possiblity you might
want to look into.

Each cpu, usually, has several USB controllers. I would only want to take over one. Is that possible? If not, it means we can not debug USB drivers...

--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx