Duplex setting with pcnet32 driver, help appriciated

From: Joonas Koivunen
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 15:37:36 EST

Hey everone,

A friend of mine just told me that my Internet connection should be 1024/1024
(full duplex), not 1024(hf) shared by up- and download -- as it is at the
moment. The connection is HomePNA for which I've got this cheap pci card,
can't know who has made it.
So this is what I've tried so far:

For eth0 (homepna, pcnet32 driver) mii-tool tells me:
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
Which must equal as bad luck.

ethtool on the otherhand is able to dig something out of the card:
# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half
100baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: Not reported
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Speed: 10Mb/s
Duplex: Half
Port: MII
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: off
Current message level: 0x00000001 (1)
Link detected: no

Bingo, it seems to support 10baseT/Full but is only at Half at the moment.
# ethtool -s eth0 duplex full; ethtool eth0 | grep Duplex
Duplex: Half
Damn.

I have tried:
# ifconfig eth0 down; ethtool -s eth0 duplex full; ifconfig eth0 up; ethtool
eth0 | grep Duplex
Duplex: Half
Still no change.

lspci's thoughts about this cheap HomePNA card:
# lspci -v -s 00:0b.0
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c978 [HomePNA]
(rev 52)
Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]: Unknown device 2000
I/O ports at a000 [size=32]
Memory at eb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32]

I haven't been able to check with Windows' drivers but as those are generic
pcnet32 too, I doubt that the outcome would be any different. Just that
ethtool doesn't give out any warnings, as it does with for example autoneg:
# ethtool -s eth0 autoneg on
Cannot set new settings: Invalid argument
not setting autoneg

Here it seems that it's not supported by the cheap card of mine? But nothing
is said about duplex setting even being "heard" by the card itself. How to
proceed? The kernel I'm using is linux-2.6.0-rc1 with the rmmap security
patch by Linus.

-rzei