Re: VIA and NVIDIA

From: Nuno Alexandre
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 14:24:16 EST

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:53:45 -0500
eddie tejeda wrote:

> I have an NVidia Videocard with a VIA KT333 chipset motherboard..
>
> i am about to burst.. i am tried just about every bug-fix, workaround
> and hack, written everywhere in the internet.. to get the Nvidia driver
> to work on my machine. NV works fine.
>
> i've been trying this for 6months and finally caving and think that it
> has to be Linux's VIA support. which i've read there are some problems.
>
> I am willing to present all information needed.. but this is the post
> i've posted all over NVIDIA boards:
>

> ***********
>

> The screen used to go black, and flicker blue once, and stop responding.
> number lock works... i can SSH into machine to get logs.. if i try and
> kill X it crashes the machine hard... complete lock out...
>
> when i run ps aux i can see X is running 99% of CPU
>
> All the options enabled in XFConfig attached have been added and removed
> (when options are removed the flicker happens.. if not... I now get a
> screen with ASCII printed.. just junk.. no flicker.)
>
> I have:
> Athlon XP 2200
> Soyo Ultra Platinum, KT333
> PNY GeForce 3 Ti200
> Crucial 512 DDR-333
> ALL tested kernels (2.4.22+, 2.6.x)
> ALL distributions (Fedora, Redhat, Debian)
>
> I have tested with following kernel options on and off:
> ACPI/APM
> Fb-Nvidia/Riva
> Pre-empt
> AGPART
>
> i attached my XFConfig, XFree86.log and .config(2.6.0)
>

> ************
>

> i am almost certain it is linux.. because the cards work on windows
> machines perfect. and i have tried a few cards on this linux machine the
> same happens.
>
> also, most people who have the problems i described.... they get fixed
> with the OPTIONS that i have on my XF86Config. i have tested them all on
> and off.
>

> i would like to see linux do 3d.. one day. :o)...thanks in advance, i
> love the work you guys do and hope to contribute in the future..

Hi Eddie.
I have Asus A7V, KT 333
AMD 1800+
Gforce 2gts
768 DDR Kingston

settings on
pre-empt
AGPART

not using framebuffer.
As you see, very similar setup, apart from the riva fb.
But I have had a framebuffer working with help from some patches available on the gentoo forums, but they don't work on the latest
kernel build. So i dropped it.

I never had any problems with the nvidia drivers.
not on 2.4 or 2.6 always worked :)

I dont know how this can help you, but having 2 similar setups
maybe helps finding whats wrong on your setup that makes it not work.
Feel free to ask for anything that might help you.

--
Best regards - Nuno Alexandre - na:imaginere.dk
Gpg: EA74637D - http://www.fluxmod.dk