Re: Catch 22

From: Jesse Pollard
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 11:54:27 EST

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 09:01, John Lash wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:40:03 +0000
>
> Michael Lothian <s0095670@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Just thaought I'd let you know about my experiences with Mandrake using
> > the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on my new hardware which is primaraly a Asus
> > A7V600 (KT600) Motherboard and Radeon 9600XT
> >
> > Under 2.4 my ATA hard drak is mounted under /dev/hda where as under 2.6
> > is /dev/hde so there is no wasy way to switch between them with lilo and
> > /etc/fstab needing to be changed
>
> At least in this case, you should be able to use volume labels for the
> filesystems instead of the actual device names. Check out tune2fs -L. You
> then reference the volume label in your fstab.
>
> With lilo, you can specify that boot disk and root disk on the command
> line. Also you can point lilo to a different config file using lilo -C. Not
> seamless but should allow you to bounce back and forth w/o editing
> files....
>
> Sorry, I'm not familiar with the rest.....

Also you can use a MBR lilo that only boots one or more partitions, then
have Lilo installed on each partition to select a specific kernel related
to that particular partition. This way you no longer have to update a
single point of failure - only update the lilo configuration on a specific
partition when changes are needed.

You avoid altering the MBR and the other partition.