Re: kgdb cleanups

From: Amit S. Kale
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 08:22:36 EST

On Wednesday 14 Jan 2004 2:50 am, George Anzinger wrote:
> Amit S. Kale wrote:
> > Regarding pluggable iterfaces -
> > The version I have lets a user to choose the interface by supplying
> > appropriate command line. (e.g. kgdbwait kgdb8250=... or kgdbwait
> > kgdbeth=...) It supports an arbitrary number of interfaces. The kgdb core
> > itself is independent of an interface. All interfaces are defined by a
> > structure described below. An interface registers itself with kgdb core
> > by assigning this structure to pointer kgdb_serial.
> >
> > struct kgdb_serial {
> > int chunksize;
>
> Do we really need this? The only place I saw it used it did not seem to
> matter where the split occured and there was now endchunck/beginchunck
> stuff. I would MUCH rather see the interface code take care of this with
> out mucking up the core code (as the eth code already does). Did I miss
> something here?

Having an interface recognize a kgdb core record isn't a good design.
Having kgdb core record know interface limitations isn't good either.

If kgdb calls flush at end of a packet and an interface splits a packet
whenever its length goes above its limit, that'll be the right way of doing
it.

> > int (*read_char)(void);
> > void (*write_char)(int);
> > void (*flush)(void);
> > int (*hook)(void);
> > void (*begin_session)(void);
> > void (*end_session)(void);
> > };
> >
> > Where chunksize is maximum chunksize an interface can handle.
> >
> > read_char and write_char are derived from getDebugChar and putDebugChar
> > flush flushes written characters. Flush control is given to kgdb core so
> > that it can ensure that #checksum doesn't split.
>
> Actually, I think it is needed so that gdb knows that the kgdb stub has
> exited. This could, of course, be done with out the flush, but then the
> write code would have to recognize an end of record (not hard with the
> given protocol). I don't think there is any requirement that a checksum
> not be split. My assumption here is that the logical record is reassembled
> on the gdb end without concern about how many physical records are
> involved. Is this not true?

I guess yes. Splitting of #checksum may not matter.

> > begin_session and end_session inform an interface about a gdb
> > communication session. (Haven't decided about console packets to gdb yet)
>
> I assume you mean entry to the stub/ exit the stub as a "session". This
> eliminates the old hook, right?

Yes. begin_session and end_session mark entry and exit points into
handle_exception. They are required to mark ethernet interface in trap mode.

What's old hook?

> > hook is interface initialization. It can return errors. This allows kgdb
> > core to probe the interface for availability at multiple points. Because
> > of this, there can be multiple debugger entry points
> > 1. At very begining of start_kernel -> Only an 8250 interface with early
> > boot enabled can respond to hook call.
> > 2. After smp initialization -> An 8250 interface without an early boot
> > can respond to this.
> > 3. An ethernet interface can itself call debugger_entry to enter debugger
> > after it's brought up from userland.
>
> Hm.. Eth is up way before user land, else we could not nfs mount root and
> all that that implies. I think eth should be "available" when it is
> initialized. I am not sure I see a reason to support a way to get to kgdb
> from user land. We have ^C and also the Sys Rq entry. That should be
> enough.

Pardon my poor knowledge of network stack. I still have to work out the
details of how and when to start kgdb-ethernet connection.

Now that you mention it, I'll think about it. I can actually bring up an
ethernet interface from kgdb eth code itself and associate an ip address with
it.

> Also, as mention in a prior email, I don't think it is a good idea to
> switch interfaces once communication is started, unless commanded to do so,
> even if the default request is to use an inteface that just came up.

Agreed.

-amit

--
Amit Kale