Re: SCHED_SOFTRR patch (memory lock?)

From: Davide Libenzi
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 14:52:34 EST

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Roger Larsson wrote:

> On Thursday 07 August 2003 18.31, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > According to me, this should not happen, since your cpu usage is well
> > > below what is supposed to be the cutoff for the realtime slice. I've
> > > only seen one report like yours, where SOFTRR isn't working as intended.
> > > On the other hand, I've missed a lot of lkml traffice lately, so there
> > > could be more.
> >
> > looking at the source code of xmms and found that xmms OSS output
> > plugin behaves differently if the process is SCHED_RR.
> > when xmms is started with SCHED_RR, it won't create an (another) audio
> > thread. perhaps this explains also the difference found in some
> > cases.
> >
> > well, i'm not 100% sure about this theory, now needs to practice :)
> > please try to turn off the check of SCHED_RR in
> > xmms/Output/OSS/audio.c, something like:
> >
> > realtime = xmms_check_realtime_priority();
> >
> > replaced with
> >
> > realtime = 0;
>
> Another possibility - will XMMS lock its memory from swapping when running as
> root? (Or are there any special allocation/IO rule for root?)

Gee, it was 100F last time I saw this thread :-)
Yes, xmms behave in two completely different ways depending on the fact
that it is or it is not running RR. With RR it writes directly to the dsp,
while w/out it creates a thread that handles an output buffer. Then thread
then does write to the dsp when the buffer has something to be written.

- Davide