Re: NForce2, Ross Dickson's timer patch on 2.6.1

From: Daniel Drake
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 13:45:39 EST

Hi,

I can confirm this activity, my clock has been skewing recently, but I had not made the link myself that this started happening after I started using the APIC/IOAPIC nforce fixes.

If theres any debug info I can provide let me know. I run an AMD XP2600+ on an Abit NF7-S V2.0 motherboard.

Daniel

Jesse Allen wrote:
Hi Ross,

I have a version of your timer patch (io_apic.c) for kernel 2.6.1. It is attached. I have been monitoring a problem with it. It seems that with the patch, I gain 1 seconds time over 10 minutes (roughly). So I gain about 2-3 mintues a day. I haven't taken exact measurements, but I know it ends up about 20 minutes difference after a week. This is not good, which would require resetting the time often.

I tried the 2.6.1 kernel without the timer patch. The timer is now back in PIC mode, and interrupt 7 has the old noise. Synched the time with my watch. At first, I noticed no gain in time over 10 minutes. However the next day, I found
it gained 1-2 seconds. Now it is about 7 seconds ahead a few days later now. This is much better.

So I'm left to thinking, the patch does two things, maybe one thing right, and one possibly very wrong:

1) It does place the timer in APIC mode.
2) But the timer seems to be fed extra interrupts, maybe the same that is found on irq 7 without the patch (is this possible?)

I remember someone making a comment which might explain the issue:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107098440019588&w=2

I don't think the patch was much different now than it was then. So I think there is something wrong with setting up the timer this way. I don't know if you worked something out with Maciej. I don't know much about interrupt controller programming so... if maybe you can explain to me anything I'm
missing. For now I've dropped the patch.

Jesse

PS: I have run with disconnect on, and without your ack patch since I got that surpise BIOS update. No lockups have occurred in the past month, since that. So the disconnect problem is a BIOS bug. (Shuttle has not responded)

PSS: CC me, I'm not subscribed right now.