Re: 2.6.1-mm1: drivers/video/sis/sis_main.c link error

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 12:02:05 EST

On Monday 12 January 2004 11:33, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 01:21:12AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > DRM? lemme see if thats even turned on. Nope "# CONFIG_DRM is
> > not set" Doing a make xconfig, I see that if I turn it on, there
> > is not a driver for my gforce2/nvidia, so I naturally turned it
> > back off.
> >
> > I do have VIA and agpgart enabled just above it
>
>With CONFIG_DRM off, the AGP options may as well be turned off too,
>as they do nothing[1] on a system without 3d acceleration.
>
> Dave
>
>[1] Well, unless you have an Intel i8xx chipset where you need it
> for the horrid framebuffer needs memory through GART hack.
> And in your case, you don't have one of these.

Are you saying I should turn it on, but just not select a specific
makers chip-boardset? Or that I should go get a different card?

In which case I'd have about an 80 dollar limit as I'm not a game
player that needs a 500 dollar video card. OTOH, as long as I stay
the hell away from nvidias own drivers, this card has been quite
bulletproof. The only thing thats missing is the GLX extensions.

The last time I brought an ATI card home, the box carried no
indication that it was anything but what it said it was. But it
couldn't be made to work, new vendor/product code return. I called
ATI on my quarter and was told rather snippishly that it worked fine
with their windows drivers that were on the cd, and that if I wanted
support, I had to be running windows. So I bought a driver from
xorg, didn't work, same problem, except no refund was available. I
got snotty, and they did too. Screw both of 'em, and the camels that
rode in on them, That left nvidia as the other major player, so
thats what I bought with my refund. It worked right out of the box.

tvtime, even running full screen, runs just fine here on this old
card, as does the vlc stuff, but thats the extent of my requirements
for full motion video.

But, I'm thinking of building another, and certainly open for video
card suggestions within the 'utility' price range.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,