Re: smp dead lock of io_request_lock/queue_lock patch

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 10:16:15 EST

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 04:07:40PM +0100, Martin Peschke3 wrote:
> as the patch discussed in this thread, i.e. pure (partially
> vintage) bugfixes.

Both SuSE and Red Hat submit bugfixes they put in the respective trees to
marcelo already. There will not be many "pure bugfixes" that you can find in
vendor trees but not in marcelo's tree.

> If people agree in that course also about a clean, common
> iorl-patch, that would be another step forward, in my opinion.

None of the vendors in question is still doing development based on 2.4 (in
fact I suspect no linux vendor/distro still is) so if you want vendors to go
to a joint patch for such a specific enhancement, which WILL include
development, I really don't see the point. Neither SuSE nor Red Hat will be
jumping from joy to do a lot of work to replace a patch that works in their
respective existing products with something else with no clear gain at all,
while requiring significant work and stability risks.

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven