Re: smp dead lock of io_request_lock/queue_lock patch

From: Jens Axboe
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 09:16:39 EST

On Mon, Jan 12 2004, Martin Peschke3 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to merge all (or at least the common denominator) of
> Redhat's and SuSE's changes into the vanilla 2.4 SCSI stack?
> The SCSI part of Marcelo's kernel seems to be rather backlevel,
> considering all those fixes and enhancements added by the mentioned
> distributors and their SCSI experts. As this discussion underlines,
> there are a lot of common problems and sometimes even common
> approaches. I am convinced that a number of patches ought to be
> incorporated into the mainline kernel. Though, I must admit
> that I am at a loss with how this could be achieved given the
> unresolved question of 2.4 SCSI maintenance
> (which has certainly played a part in building up those piles
> of SCSI patches).

I have mixed feelings about that. One on side, I'd love to merge the
scalability patches in mainline. We've had a significant number of bugs
in this area in the past, and it seems a shame that we all have to fix
them independently because we deviate from mainline. On the other hand,
2.4 is pretty much closed. There wont be a big number of new distro 2.4
kernels.

Had you asked me 6 months ago I probably would have advocated merging
them, but right now I think it's a waste of time.

--
Jens Axboe