Re: 2.6.1-mm1: drivers/video/sis/sis_main.c link error

From: Thomas Winischhofer
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 04:06:28 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

The whole framebuffer stuff in 2.6 is ancient. (Look at the file dates.)

Note that the fb stuff is ancient because it's basically not maintained as far as I'm concerned.

Erm, well, _I_ know. But I assume you meant this message mainly for the public.

I'm sorry, but this i show it is. The fbcon people have been changing interfaces faster than they have been fixing bugs in the code. Together

You tell me. I actually stopped adapting sisfb for a couple of months during the 2.5 development cycle - I could not keep up with the speed of substantial changes either.

with the fact that most of the development seems to happen in outside trees, and nobody ever sends me fixes relative to the released tree, this makes for a pretty bad situation.

I really think that development should happen in the regular tree, or at least be synched up in reasonable chunks THAT DO NOT BREAK everything.

I realize that some fb developers seem to disagree with me, but the fact is, the way things are done now, fb will _always_ be broken. Most people for whom the standard kernel works will never test the fb development trees, so those trees will never get any amount of reasonable testing. As a result, they WILL be buggy, and synching with them WILL be painful as hell.

Isn't a large part of the fbcon/dev stuff in current 2.6 broken anyway? Could it become worse by merging James' current changes? But I guess this question - as well as the rest of your message - is for James to answer.

If the lastest and greatest of the fbdev stuff isn't merged with 2.6.2, I will revert the interface changes in sisfb and send a patch which works with the then-current vanilla kernel.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria