Re: HELP!! 2.6.x build problem with make xconfig

From: Javier Fernandez-Ivern
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 17:14:15 EST

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx writes:

cd /usr/include
rm asm linux scsi
ln -fs /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386 asm
ln -fs /usr/src/linux/include/linux linux
ln -fs /usr/src/linux/include/scsi scsi

Don't do that.

Use what's in the glibc-kernheaders RPM for userspace, and let the kernel
provide its own headers for its use.

GNU libc doesn't have (nor need) its own "kernel" headers and uses the
kernel ones.
You may live with "glibc-kernheaders" package only if it matches your
system. If you're using a different (newer, modified etc) kernel then
you need the symlinks or a copy (example: new ioctls + programs using
them).

You may need to recompile the libc as well, if the libc-kernel (binary)
interface has changed.

Sometimes there's a reason to use the old kernel headers...I still run several apps that can't grok the 2.6 headers, and will only compile with 2.4 ones (and they work fine). I have a couple of small scripts that switch the directories around when I need them, for convenience. :)

Of course, the real solution would be to hack them to work with new headers, but I don't have the time for that at the moment. *Sigh*

--
Javier Fernandez-Ivern