Re: Laptops & CPU frequency

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 12:07:13 EST

Robert Love wrote:

>The MHz value in /proc/cpuinfo should be updated as the CPU speed
>changes - that is, it is not calculated just at boot, but it is updated
>as the speed actually changes.

Is this true even when the speed changes aren't done through Speedstep?
Some older (PII/non-Speedstep PIIIs) Thinkpads automatically change
speed based on presence of AC power, but do it in a way that's exposed
as an ACPI throttling state rather than a performance state. My
experience is that this doesn't result in cpuinfo getting updated, and
various kernel things seem to become unhappy. On the other hand, I
haven't tried this since 2.5.5something - I just told the BIOS not to
touch stuff instead.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.linux-rutgers.kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx