no trace crash, running 2.6.1-mm1

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 04:47:58 EST

This crash was hard, and trashed the /usr partition. Thats not so
bad, but it took about 20 reboots to get it past fscking the
/dev/hda8 (/usr) partition before I could get it back up.

No trace of the crash exists in the messages log, it quit logging
about the time I shut the monitor off and went to bed, and when I
found it totally unresponsive at 3:10, about 2.5 hours later.

However, getting past the e2fsck of /usr, aka /dev/hda8, was a bit
frustrating as it would get to some arbitrary point, usually about
halfway thru that 70Gb partition and get stuck in a loop outputting
what I assume is debugging info, and finally ending in a kernel
panic.

I took a picture of the screen at that point, but its a 3.2 mpixel
camera so the .jpg file will be around 700k if anyone is interested
in doing an autopsy on it. I won't abuse the list with that big a
file.

Also on the reboot, ksysguard cannot connect, but I've not lifted the
hood on that one yet.

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,