Re: 2.6.1 and irq balancing

From: Ethan Weinstein
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 00:28:41 EST

Ed Tomlinson wrote:
Hi,

What is the load on the box when this is happening? If its low think
this is optimal (for cache reasons).

Admittedly, the machine's load was not high when I took this sample. However, creating a great deal of load does not change these statistics at all. Being that there are patches available for 2.4.x kernels to fix this, I don't think this at all by design, but what do I know? =)

2.6.0 running on a non-HT SMP machine I have (old Compaq proliant 2xPentium2) does interrupt on all CPU's with "noirqbalance" bootparam.

Regarding the keyboard, I noticed something interesting

2.6.1-rc1 shows the i8042 in /proc/interrupts:

1: 1871 0 0 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042

(keyboard still does not work, though..)

2.6.1 final does not show this at all, and [kseriod] eats a constant 5% CPU. Something's awry =)

-Ethan