Re: Laptops & CPU frequency

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 23:14:20 EST

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:17:41 EST, Robert Love said:

> The MHz value in /proc/cpuinfo should be updated as the CPU speed
> changes - that is, it is not calculated just at boot, but it is updated
> as the speed actually changes.

Yes, it should. However, I remember chasing down a similar bug in the
SpeedStep code back around 2.5.73-75 timeframe (which managed to manifest as
the audio chipset latching onto the wrong clocking, no less - it wasn't till
later that I noticed that the frequency and bogomips numbers in /proc/cpuinfo
were bogus too). I admit never checking if either the original code or the
patch were backported to 2.4.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105859009128595&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=105691055706753&w=2

(the final actual fix ended up being slightly different, but that was the bug).

Feel free to hit "delete" if this is irrelevant...