Re: [announcement, patch] real-time interrupts for the Linux kernel

From: hui
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 19:03:36 EST

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 02:44:45AM +0100, Bernhard Kuhn wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> I hope that i can steal enough of your precious time to get
> your attention for a new patch that adds hard real time support
> to the linux kernel (worst case interrupt response time below
> 5 microseconds):
>
> The proposed "real time interrupt patch" enables the linux
> kernel for hard-real-time applications such as data aquisition
> and control loops by adding priorities to interrupts and spinlocks.
>
> The following document will describe the patch in detail and how
> to install it:
>
> http://home.t-online.de/home/Bernhard_Kuhn/rtirq/20040108/README

Also,

It's kind of a cool patch. I'm surprised that nobody's commented on this
so far. Basically, if I understand this, this uses IO-APIC hardware
assistance for getting some notion of prioritized interrupts and a other
goodies. Just ran into the article now, but the original email post flew
under my radar. /me reads more

bill