Re: Q re /proc/bus/i2c

From: J. Ryan Earl
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 18:39:08 EST

Martin Schlemmer wrote:

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 13:58, J. Ryan Earl wrote:

A couple questions:

1) Have you installed the lm-sensors package?
2) What kernel version?

Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not the i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it. The lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor chips. After you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel, run sensors-detect to get the proper modules loaded for your hardware.

Uhm, AFIAK, you should _NOT_ install the drivers from the lm-sensors
package, but use those in the kernel. Check the docs, they explicitly
say that you should only do:

# make user user_install

if you have 2.6 kernel. Further, you do not _need_ lm-sensors package,
as if you only want to check/monitor one setting, you can get it from
/sys, and if you use gkrellm, it do not even use libsensors anymore
(and thus works without, as it have since 2.6 support, before even
libsensors was ported to understand sysfs) ...

It still uses devfs I think. Or you can just run the mkdev.sh command to create the proper devices.

This is from installing lm-sensors:

* *****************************************************************
*
* This ebuild assumes your /usr/src/linux kernel is the one you
* used to build i2c-2.8.2.
*
* For 2.5+ series kernels, use the support already in the kernel
* under 'Character devices' -> 'I2C support' and then merge this
* ebuild.
*
* To cross-compile, 'export LINUX="/lib/modules/<version>/build"'
* or symlink /usr/src/linux to another kernel.
*

You always need the lm-sensors package, period--it has all the user land utilities plus drivers for most of the chips/sensors. You only need the i2c package on earlier kernels, use built in for 2.6. On my Asus boards, I use the asb100 module which is not in the kernel. `find /usr/src/linux -name asb100* -print` Not there. Remember, you'll have to recompile the lm-sensors package everytime you upgrade you change your kernel.

-ryan