Re: Do not use synaptics extensions by default

From: Sean Neakums
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 15:50:44 EST

Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:18:22PM +0000, Sean Neakums wrote:
>
>> > Well, if you need to boot both 2.6 and 2.4 _and_ need to use gpm and X
>> > in parallel _and_ need tap-to-click in both gpm and X, then you have to
>> > use the kernel command line parameter and put your synaptics into legacy
>> > mode.
>>
>> Using psmouse_proto=imps? Or something else?
>
> Yes, that one.

I tried 2.6.1 with that option set as above, and also with it set to
base. In both cases I don't seem to get tap-to-click. In
2.6.1-rc1-mm1 with psmouse_noext=1, I get tap-to-click.

>> Will this also result in the passthough port not being enabled?
>> (I'd like to disable it.)
>
> It depends on the touchpad firmware. Most leave it enabled.
> In this mode we don't have any control over the passthrough port.

I notice that the passthrough appears as an extra device (mouse1 on my
system). Is there a way to disable devices from userspace? I did
find the place in the synaptics driver that looks like it is where the
passthrough port is registered, so I guess I could take that out as a
last resort. But it's a pain having to remember to patch my kernel
every time I upgrade.