Cannot boot after new Kernel Build

From: Alex
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 03:23:25 EST

Hi,
I am trying to build a new kernel but what ever version 2.4.24, 2.6.0,
2.6.1 i am trying to build I come across the same problem.

when doing a "make install" i get the following error.

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such file or directlry
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Comman failed.

I have installed the lates packages
device mapper 1.00.07
initscripts 7.28.1
modutils, lvm2.2.00.08
mkinitrd-3.5.15.1-2

If I just ignore the message and try to boot the machine with the new
kernel then I get a Kernel Panic.

VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unapble to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

The boot command in grub is
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.6.1.img

It is basically the same (except the version) as I use for 2.4.20-28 so
I assume the label is correct.

I saw quite a few messages of similar type but no real answer to the
problem. Any Ideas what it could be ? I am using RH9.0

Thanks
Alex