Re: 2.6: The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occuredon CPU 0.

From: Prakash K. Cheemplavam
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 18:31:44 EST

Eric wrote:
On Friday 09 January 2004 10:48 am, lkml@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi!

I did have some very scary issues today playing with 2.6. The system was
booted and ran several times today, the longtest uptime was approximately
about an hour.

But then shortly after having booted 2.6 I got syslog messages:

The hardware reports a non fatal, correctable incident occured on CPU 0.

I shut down the machine. After this my Athlon XP 2200+ showed up as 1050MHz
in BIOS an indeed the bus frequency was set to 100 instead of 133 MHz (how
can an OS change the BIOS?!) - nevertheless the CPU should have shown up as
1500MHz. I set it back to 133 MHz - which resulted in the machine did not
even reach the BIOS no more but was rebooting automatically prior to it. I
turned off the machine for some seconds - no change. I turned it off for a
few minutes and the BIOS showed up again - with 1050MHz. So I had to set
the freq back to 133 MHz a second time. I booted my 2.4.21 kernel which
seems to run.

Check your hardware CPU/MOBO/RAM. Overheating? Bad Ram? Cheap mobo?
MCE should not be triggered under any circumstances unless it is a kernel bug(RARE, I believe the MCE code is simple) or you REALLY have a hardware problem. As said before, the bios is resetting your fsb to 100 as a fail-safe because something bad happened.
BTW, check your setup, an AMD 2200+ should run at 1.8ghz i believe. If you are setting your FSB or multiplier too low, that might also be triggering a problem. A quick google lists amd xp2200+ as 1800mhz

Yes, I would also say that. With my Athlon XP 1700+ (1.466 GHZ, FSB 133MHZ) clocked at 2.2GHz (FSB200) I get MCE errors, but at 2.1GHz not, even though I can't find stability issues at 2.2GHz. Nevertheless I run the system at 2.1GHz.

Prakash