Re: time cat /proc/*/statm ?

From: Roger Luethi
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 19:34:52 EST

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:54:58 -0500, u1_amd64@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> Is it reasonable for a 64bit dual cpu to take 5+ seconds of processing to
> cat /proc/*/statm when there is hardly more than 1gb of actual memory
> space used by processes (the rest being filesystem cache)?
>
> This makes top or anything else that uses statm, unusable.

Why does top still read /proc/*/statm anyway? It's not as if top actually
ever used that information (the top I looked at at the time, that is). I
submitted a patch a few months ago to remove statm because it is a)
broken and b) redundant. The message containing detailed reasoning
should be in the linux-mm archives.

Roger