Re: [autofs] [RFC] Towards a Modern Autofs

From: Robin Rosenberg
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 08:21:54 EST

torsdagen den 8 januari 2004 13.29 skrev Olivier Galibert:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 05:55:23PM -0500, Mike Waychison wrote:
> > Yes, an 'ls' actually does an lstat on every file.
>
> I guess you haven't met the plague called color-ls yet. Lucky you.
>
> Most modern file browsers also seem to feel obligated to follow
> symlinks to check whether they're dangling. A mis-click on "up" when
> you're on your home directory could cause a beautiful mount-storm.

Not to mention the more complex graphical environments like Konqueror in KDE which produces a
nice icon with a preview of whatever the a link points to. It also scans directories in
order to tag the large icon with an even smaller icons to indicate what type of files the directory
contains. It is very nice, but very different from ls.

-- robin