blockfile access patterns logging

From: bert hubert
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 07:02:34 EST

Jens,

For some time I've wanted to log exactly what linux is reading and writing
from my harddisk - for a variety of reasons. The current reason is that my
very idle laptop writes to disk every once in a while (or reads, I don't
know).

Now, conceptually this should not be very hard, but I'd like to ask your
thoughts on where I might insert some crude logging? There are lots of
places that might be better or worse for some reason.

I'd love to be as close to the physical block device as possible, short of
rewriting actual IDE drivers.

Any tips? Or is this idea crazy?

Thanks!

--