Re: /drivers/net/tulip/dmfe.c may be outdated : kernel loadingproblem

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 00:18:57 EST

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 05:41:17 +0100 "Silk Thadeum" <thadeum@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Hello,
|
| I have been working on Linux 2.4.20 for a couple of months and use a Davicom
| Semiconductor Ethernet network card driver known as dmfe.c for module dmfe.
|
| I had no problem since here, but on Linux 2.6.0-i386-stable kernel is
| refusing to load the module :
|
| --
| $ insmod dmfe.o
| insmod: error inserting 'dmfe.o': -1 Invalid module format
| $ lspci | grep Davicom
| 00:0a.0 Ethernet controller : Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10
| Mbit (rev 31)
| --

In Linux 2.6.x, you load modules with names like 'dmfe.ko'.
And be sure to use module-init-tools, not modutils.
The module-init-tools location is listed in the Documentation/Changes
file.

| I tried to load the module by various ways : with old (for 2.4.20) and new
| (from 2.6.0 stable) compiled driver, but that didn't work. I quickly looked
| at the source code which seems quite old. I can't actually help you in
| having a deeper workaround because I don't yet have sufficient technical
| skills for that.

Are you building the module for 2.6.x in the norm(al) way
or using some homebrew commands or script?

| I'm working on a Debian Sarge testing prerelease.
|
| Have fun in debug ;p

of course ;)

--
~Randy