loop device changes the block size and causes misaligned accessesto the real device, which can't be processed

From: Ruben Garcia
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 12:06:53 EST

The loop device advertises a block size of 1024 even when configured over a cdrom.

When burning a ext2 on a cd, and mounting it directly, I get:

blocksize=2048;

when I losetup /dev/loop0 /dev/cdrom, and then try to mount, I get:

blocksize=1024; and then misaligned transfer; this results in not being able to read the superblock.

The loop device should be changed to export the same blocksize of the underlying device

or

to be able to handle the different blocksize and ask the real disk for the hard sectors; then split them and send them up.

This is needed for crypto, or backup won't mount. (Worked on 2.4.21+Old Cryptoapi)