Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 21:52:39 EST

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 06:09:47PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> > Empty talk. This is not about finding and fixing bugs.
> > We know very precisely what properties the NFS protocol has.
> > Now one can have a system that works as well as possible with NFS.
> > And one can have a worse system.
>
> Oh, things can be _much_ worse than /dev over NFS.

Yes, but why do you start saying that?

Our topic is the statement that it is good to have device numbers
stable across a reboot. Not absolutely necessary, but good.

For example, given an NFS mount, if the server reboots and
suddenly the client sees different stat data, that would be
less than optimal. A low quality NFS implementation.

You write long stories - but it really is desirable to have
stable device numbers.

> You don't seem to realize what I mean with "not enumerable".

One of your side avenues is the matter of enumeration.
I don't see why that would be relevant. One identifies
things by their UUID. Order is never important.

> And there just _isn't_ any way to make them the same or to "describe" the
> storage in any integer of any finite length. It has nothing to do with
> 32-bit vs 64-bit vs 1024-bit.

A UUID usually takes 128 bits.

Andries