Re: IDE performance drop between 2.4.23 and 2.6.0 - pinpointed!

From: Pawel Dziekonski
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 19:03:24 EST

On sob, 03 sty 2004 at 11:46:36 +0100, szonyi calin wrote:
> --- Pawel Dziekonski <pawel.dziekonski@xxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit : >
> hi,
> >
> > same problem here however it seems that i have pinpointed it
> > )at least
> > for me):
> >

> from the manpage of hdparm: -t Perform timings of device reads for
> benchmark and compari- son purposes. For meaningful results,
> this operation should be repeated 2-3 times on an otherwise inactive
> sys- tem (no other active processes) with at least a couple of
> megabytes of free memory.

> if the above conditions are not met your test is irrelevant

those conditions were met. trust me - i have just copied and pasted some
of the results :^)

ps. btw, for last 5 years 2.6.0 this is a 1st example of a situation
where hdparm gives me so unstable results. i think this is because of
the nature of as-scheduler. maybe i'm wrong.

--
Pawel Dziekonski <pawel.dziekonski|@|pwr.wroc.pl>, KDM WCSS avatar:0:0:
Wroclaw Networking & Supercomputing Center, HPC Department