Re: [CFT][RFC] HT scheduler

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 14:00:03 EST

Rusty Russell wrote:

Actually, having produced the patch, I've changed my mind.

While it was spiritually rewarding to separate "struct runqueue" into
the stuff which was to do with the runqueue, and the stuff which was
per-cpu but there because it was convenient, I'm not sure the churn is
worthwhile since we will want the rest of your stuff anyway.

It (and lots of other things) might become worthwhile if single
processors with HT become the de-facto standard. For these, lots of
our assumptions about CONFIG_SMP, such as the desirability of per-cpu
data, become bogus.

Now that Intel is shipping inexpensive CPUs with HT and faster memory bus, I think that's the direction of the mass market. It would be very desirable to have HT help rather than hinder. However, I admit I'm willing to take the 1-2% penalty on light load to get the bonus on heavy load.

If someone has measured the effect of HT on interrupt latency or server transaction response I haven't seen it, but based on a server I just built using WBEL and the RHEL scheduler, first numbers look as if the response is better. This is just based on notably less data in the incoming sockets, but it's encouraging.

"netstat -t | sort +1nr" shows a LOT fewer sockets with unread bytes.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc