Re: RFC - tarball/patch server in BitKeeper

From: Tupshin Harper
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 17:37:47 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:

The second you start
extracting BK metadata for the benefit of some SCM development effort,
that's a violation of the BKL.

Right here, you conflate action and intent. I asked about whether somebody could legally make the changesets of a bitkeeper archive publicly available. Will you be issuing a cease and desist order to Rik van Riel for making changesets available at ftp://nl.linux.org/pub/linux/bk2patch/patches-v2.5/ ??? I have found this information to be very interesting. I haven't gone off and developed an nth generation SCM product, but I have gathered a lot of interesting quantifiable information about kernel development patterns, statistics, etc. Who's violating what license, exactly?

It's your data and that data includes your checkin comments but that is
all. It's our tool and the use of our tool to export information how the
data is managed is a violation of our license.

Can you point out the relevant portion of the BKL? According to the BKL, changesets fall into the category of "Metadata". The only restrictions placed on metadata is that they be transmitted to an open logging server. The only conceivable restriction I can find is the global non-compete clause contained in 3-d: "Notwithstanding any other terms in this License, this License is not available to You if You and/or your employer develop, produce, sell, and/or resell a product which contains substantially similar capabil- ities of the BitKeeper Software, or, in the reason- able opinion of BitMover, competes with the BitKeeper Software."
Does somebody like Rik magically fall under this clause because he makes changesets publicly available?

-Tupshin