Re: PCI Express support for 2.4 kernel

From: Vladimir Kondratiev
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 06:24:48 EST

Greg KH wrote:

Hi,
PCI-Express platforms will soon appear on the market. It is worth to
support it.

Yes it is worth it, any chance to get access to hardware to test this
out on?

If it were up to me, I will give away full specs and test platforms. But it is not...

No, we need to get this into 2.6 first. Can you please forward port
this to 2.6, clean up the formatting and address the issues everyone
else has made so far and post it?

I will. It take some time, I did not installed 2.6 yet.

* command line argument "pci=exp" to force PCI Express, similar to "conf1" and "conf2"

We should be able to do this automatically, and not force this on the
boot command line, correct?

Yes. Default is autodetect. Command line is to suppress autodetection.

How about information on how to detect it as per chipset type? We need
to do this automatically some how.
+ * + * There is no standard method to recognize presence of PCI Express,

Are you sure? I thought there was (don't have my spec in front of me
right now...)

I thought this way also. But I found that it is not. You may know several chipsets,
and do per-chipset stuff, but there is no generic procedure. At least authors of PCI-E
don't know (it is nice to have access to the authors ;-) ).

Vladimir.