Re: PCI Express support for 2.4 kernel

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 05:18:57 EST

Vladimir Kondratiev <vladimir.kondratiev@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As I explained in comment to function, it is not really critical. The
> problem is, there is no generic way (or I don't know it) to recognize
> PCI-E. One suggest to go over all devices and see whether PCI-E
> capability present for at least one of them. I don't think it is good
> way to do. Sanity check do pretty good job here. If it is not PCI-E
> platform, this address in physical memory will not be connected to
> anything real. You will get 0xff's.

I don't think that's a good assumption. There will be surely be some
machine that has an mapping there. You will need to find some fool
proof way to detect the presence of PCI-Express. Otherwise it will likely
fail the number one criterium for merging ("it shall not break
anything else")

And in general new development should be done in 2.6 first...

-Andi