test11: fd0 with msdos showing garbage

From: Nicolai Lissner
Date: Sat Dec 13 2003 - 17:03:53 EST

Greetings!
While doing a BIOS-Update for my board, I have tried to read/write an
msdos-formatted disk with kernel 2.6.0-test11. It can be mounted without
errors - but "ls" shows only garbage. The disk is 100% ok - and can be readed
with kernel 2.4.x without problems.

I have done some more investigation with that. I can format a disk with e2fs,
even with msdos - both *seem* to work correct - data can be stored and readed
- but if the disk have been formatted with msdos on another system it cannot
be readed with test11.
So I started to do a diskimage with "dd if=/dev/fd0 of=disk.image"
- and found some interesting differences:
While kernel 2.4 produces a file of 1474560 bytes,
test11 produces a file of 737280 bytes only.

Comparing these files I found:

from offset 0x00000000 to 0x000013FF -- no difference.
but... surprise !
The diskimage done with kernel 2.6.0-test11 shows the directory of the disk -
beginning at offset 0x00001400

while it is expected at position 0x00002600
(where it can be found when read with kernel 2.4)

The directory is followed by 0x00 bytes - next data is found at offset
0x00002400 -- data, that can be found at offset 0x00004800 in the original
image.

I can give more detailed information if needed.

Confused but not hopeless (hey, rest of test11 is works a charme here - :)

Nicolai