Re: Is there a "make hole" (truncate in middle) syscall?

From: Rob Landley
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 16:40:17 EST

On Friday 12 December 2003 08:01, Vladimir Saveliev wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 16:53, Rob Landley wrote:
> > On Friday 12 December 2003 07:28, Vladimir Saveliev wrote:
> > > Hi

> > > Sorry,
> > > but doesn't truncate do almost exactly what "make hole" is supposed to
> > > do?
> >
> > I have a 2 gigabyte file. I want to punch a hole from 257 megabytes to
> > 364 megabytes, saving over 100 megs of disk space. I do NOT want to have
> > to copy off and rewrite 1.6 gigabytes of data from the end of the file.
> > (There may not even be enough room on the disk, and it would take a long
> > time anyway.)
>
> ok.
> But I asked why would "make hole" have problems you list (8 zillions)
> and truncate would not have them?

Ah.

Truncate doesn't look at the contents of the file, it just frees the space
regardless of what the data was. (It doesn't have to load the contents of
the blocks into memory and look at them in order to make the file's length
shorter in the metadata and de-allocate those blocks.)

What was suggested a bit earlier was automatically looking at the contents of
the data being written to disk, and not allocating actual blocks if the data
is all zeroes. (A bit like looking at pages of memory and copy-on-write
aliasing them to the zero page whenever the page is entirely zeroes.)

Truncate doesn't do any of that. Truncate only plays with metadata, and
doesn't care about the contents of the file.

Rob