Re: udev for dummies

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 21:58:21 EST

David T Hollis wrote:
On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 17:16, J.A. Magallon wrote:

What am I missing / misunderstanding ?

You may be overthinking it a bit. I just set up udev on my box and it's
working quite well. It's not really intending to completely replace
/dev, rather it provides a dynamic device structure based on hotplugged
devices.

Greg can speak to this better than I, but udev is most certainly intended to completely replace /dev. The thing is that not everything exports the required information in /sys just yet.

If you start up udev and then run the script that comes with it that parses all the pre-existing /sys entries, it will build a pretty decent set of device nodes. Eventually it is intended that this will be mounted at /dev, which could be an on-disk filesystem or else a tmpfs-based one.

Once all the information is in /sys, then static /dev will go away forever. (Which is good, since device numbers will be random in 2.7.)

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557