Re: 2.4.23 + tmpfs: where's my mem?!

From: Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 10:11:39 EST

Måns Rullgård <mru@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> But the strange thing is that df's Used does not match du: they should
>> be identical, though arrived at from different directions. I've not

No, they are not identical and should not be.

Unlike df, which reads the used counter from the filesystem
meta information, du iterates over files within directories.

If you have a file without a name (created, still open, all
links removed), it does not exist in any directory but it
does exist in the filesystem. So df should show the space
used for it, while du should not.

> FWIW, I've seen this behavior with vmware 4. The space came back when
> I closed vmware.

This is, what Willy Tarreau described.

regards,
Mario
--
Ho ho ho! I am Santa Claus of Borg. Nice assimilation all together!