Re: PROBLEM: Linux 2.6.0-test11 only lets me use 1GB out of 2GB ram.

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Thu Dec 11 2003 - 00:51:37 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:33:39AM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:

I thought highmem wasn't necesarily needed for memory <=2GB? Highmem incurs some performance hits doesn't it and so the urge to move to it with only 2GB is not very attractive. Anyways i'm just interested in if that's the case or not since 2GB is easy to get to these days and i had heard that highmem could be avoided passed the 1GB barrier.

You're probably thinking of 2:2 split patches.

2:2 splits are at least technically ABI violations, which is probably
why this isn't merged etc. Applications sensitive to it are uncommon.

Yes, the SVR4 i386 ELF/ABI spec literally mandates 0xC0000000 as the
top of the process address space.

At any rate, Raul, highmem shouldn't hurt your performance significantly
with the 2.6 kernel. If it does then send a note to the list.

Your other options are a different user/kernel split, or a 64-bit kernel,
both of which should have less overhead than highmem.