FIXED (was Re: PROBLEM: Blk Dev Cache causing kswapd thrashing)

From: Chris Petersen
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 12:47:10 EST

Marcelo,

It appears the block-device-cache/kswapd problem is indeed fixed in
2.4.23 (yay!).

To confuse matters RedHat has released an RPM with 2.4.20-24.7 which
apparently contains later patches that include the fix. This can be
confusing because their 2.4.21-4EL kernel is busted (WRT this bug).
But, at least this way we can simply tell our RH-based customers to go
grab the RPM.

Thanks,
-chris

Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 04:03:56PM -0500, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > > The block device cache is causing kswapd thrashing, usually bringing
> > > the system to a halt.
> > > This problem has been reproduced on kernels as recent as 2.4.21.
> > > In our application we deal with large (multi-GB) files on multi-CPU
> > > 4GB platforms. While handling these files, the block device cache
> > > allocates all remaining available memory (3.5G) up to the 4G
> > > physical limit.
> >
> > Please try 2.4.23-rc5, and if that doesn't fix it, try 2.6.0-test10.
> > AIUI both have page replacement improvements over 2.4.21.
>
> Chris,
>
> Did you try 2.4 already?
>
> If you didnt, please tell me results when you do so.
>
> Thanks

Chris M. Petersen cmp@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sr. R&D Engineer

Synopsys, Inc. o: 919.425.7342
1101 Slater Road, Suite 300 c: 919.349.6393
Durham, NC 27703 f: 919.425.7320