Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 12:29:05 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

But also note how it's only the BINARY MODULE that is a derived work. Your
source code is _not_ necessarily a derived work, and if you compile it for
another operating system, I'd clearly not complain.

This is the "stand-alone short story" vs "extra chapter without meaning
outside the book" argument. See? One is a work in its own right, the other
isn't.

We currently have a situation where an external company supplies us with a device driver containing a binary blob that was explicitly written as OS-agnostic, and a shim that is gpl'd (at least the linux shim is) to get the appropriate os-specific services. I guess this would fall under the "not made just for linux" category in which you've placed the Nvidia driver?

Carrying on your analogy, this could be a generic love scene, with blanks in which to insert the character's names and location.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen | MailStop: 043/33/F10
Nortel Networks | work: (613) 765-0557