Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?

From: Aron Rubin
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 10:51:03 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:
On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 03:05:03PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 06:46 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:

Unless I need more coffee (which is certainly possible, it's early),
yeah, I disagree with this. A contract could do this but a copyright
based license doesn't seem like it can.

Why so? I can license my work under whatever terms I please.

I certainly can't force you to _accept_ the terms of my licence -- you
always have the option to decline -- but in that case you may not use my
work.

You may license *your* work under whatever terms you want. Those terms
can't extend to things that aren't your work in a copyright license.
You need a contract to do that and even then there are limits to what
you can do.

At the horrible risk of getting involved in something here, I would like to point out that the process of creating a "derived work" would be a use of the original. Therefore, restrictions placed on the original about usage would not apply directly to the derived work, but they would apply to the process of creating the derived work.

Aron

--

ssh aron@xxxxxxxxxxxx cat /dev/brain | grep ^work:

Aron Rubin Member, Engineering Staff
Lockheed Martin E-Mail: arubin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Advanced Technology Laboratories Phone: 856.792.9865
3 Executive Campus Fax: 856.792.9930
Cherry Hill, NJ USA 08002 Web: http://www.atl.lmco.com