Getting file offsets for open files of a process?

From: Ville Herva
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 07:02:46 EST

lsof has this option:

-o This option directs lsof to display file offset
at all times. It causes the SIZE/OFF output col­
umn title to be changed to OFFSET.

but the source contains

#define OFFTST_STAT 0 /* Linux lsof can't report offsets */

That information is not available in /proc either.

(I'm not sure if the older, non-/proc based lsof version supported this on
linux. Newest lsof has the non-/proc linux mode removed, and I can't find
the old source anymore.)

Is there any way of getting this information in linux?

I suppose Solaris and maybe some others export this information via /proc?

-- v --

v@xxxxxx