Re: Linux Kernel and GPL section 2c

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 19:17:37 EST

Hi!

> > Hello all,
> > I noticed the discussion about linux kernel modules that happened last
> > week. I was wondering about something with regards to the linux kernel and
> > Section 2c of the GPL. Why doesn't the kernel on booting print something
> > about the kernel being free software licensed under the GPL, and shouldn't
> > it?
>
> Presumably, 1) the kernel as a whole is not a "modified" work, but
> rather at least parts of it are the original work, 2) it does not read
> commands interactively when run, 3) it does not normally print such
> announcements.

I see such announcements. I think we should just kill them all:

Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@xxxxxxxxxxxx).
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California.
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team

Or perhaps we can replace 'POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX' with
'Distribute under GPLv2'?
Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]