Re: Device-mapper submission for 2.4

From: Ciaran McCreesh
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 17:55:02 EST

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:02:50 -0500 "Bill Rugolsky Jr."
<brugolsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 12:10:06PM -0200, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
| > As far as I know, we already have the similar functionality in 2.4
| > with LVM. Device mapper provides the same functionality but in a
| > much cleaner way. Is that right?
|
| Yes.
|
| And migration of root-on-LVM users to 2.6 will be *greatly* helped if
| users can get LVM2/DM working on 2.4 (by upgrading
| lvm/initscripts/mkinitrd), and then move to 2.6.

Agreed. Early 2.6test kernels had serious keyboard issues on my laptop,
and the effort of switching backwards and forwards between LVM1 and 2
has put me off trying again on that box. If I could run 2.4 with LVM2
easily without having to worry about yet another manual kernel patch I'd
be a lot more inclined to do testing.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org