Re: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/config/eth0/arp_filter not working?

From: David S. Miller
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 15:26:55 EST

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:58:47 +0100
Felix von Leitner <felix-kernel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> According to the documentation I found, the kernel (2.6.0-test11) should
> not answer ARP requests for the lo alias if I write 1 to
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/config/eth0/arp_filter, and to be on the safe side, I
> also wrote 1 to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/config/lo/arp_filter. However, the
> kernel still answers the ARP requests.

Read the documentation again more clearly:

====================
arp_filter - BOOLEAN
1 - Allows you to have multiple network interfaces on the same
subnet, and have the ARPs for each interface be answered
based on whether or not the kernel would route a packet from
the ARP'd IP out that interface (therefore you must use source
based routing for this to work). In other words it allows control
of which cards (usually 1) will respond to an arp request.

This is telling you that you need to set up your routes correctly
in order for the ARP packets to be filtered the way you want.

The decision to block ARP packets is not just based upon this sysctl
value, it is instead made if this sysctl value is set _AND_ the routes
indicate that we would not use this device for a route to reach that
destination which is trying to be resolved by the ARP request.